Monday, May 19, 2014

Sleepless Nights

This is a Sestina poem I wrote earlier in the year

Sleepless Nights


Some days life will spit in your face, and then throw you down
Then pick you up just to push you around
Sometimes it rains till you are up to your head
Then relieved to see the sun, but you burn till you are red
But its the sunless days and the moonless nights
That make you appreciate the light


Today my heart is heavy, but it should be light
I dont know what it is, but something has me down
It’s like standing under the sun, but seeing the night
I’m standing on solid ground, but my emotions are spinning around
I don’t have any wounds, but I’m bleeding red
I’m struggling to figure out what is going on inside my head


The struggle is to keep it in your head
To carry your heavy heart as if it were light
Write the story of your heart and hardly let it be read
Show to your closest friends what you wrote down
But don’t show it to too many, or it might get around
You don’t want to drive to many into depressive, sleepless nights


But it’s your loved ones who help you get through the sleepless nights
They help straighten out all the crazy in your head
So find the good ones and keep them around
Some time they can make your heavy heart feel light
It’s the people who love you who will pick you up when the world knocks you down
They will clean you up and wipe away the blood running red


But there is that special person who comes holding roses of red
She stays awake with you on those sleepless nights
She will stay with you through it all and never let you down
she will hold you tight, wipe the tears and lift your head
and when your heart isn't light, she will be your light
and when everyone else gives up, she will hang around


Some day I’m sure I’ll finally come around
But eventually the sun will again set red
Another storm will come and deprive me of the light
I’ll fight through the days, just to fight through the night
And then I’ll fight will all I've got just to get ahead
Because some days life will throw you down


But she will pick you up when you are down
She will hold you tight, wipe the tears, and lift your head
And she will hold you through the sleepless nights

No comments:

Post a Comment